next
         Activities
Nutley, for so long isolated and the inhabitants, not able to get to towns quickly, had to fall back on themselves for entertainment. In a book of press cuttings owned by the late Mr. F.T. Ridley, dating back to 1870, there are many accounts of entertainment in the School room, consisting of songs, recitations, humorous readings, pianoforte solos and duets. These entertainments seem to have been well patronised and enjoyed, all the performers were local people.                                                                         Club Days One of the highlights of the year used to be Club Days. The Working Men’s Club was formed in 1849 for sick and funeral benefit and a feast was held every third Friday in July in the Club Field which is opposite the Castle Tea Rooms. All the members assembled at the Nutley Inn and after going through the accounts and other business, marched to a Church Service at 11.00am carrying banners, wearing rosettes and led by a band.
After the service, the procession marched round the village and came back to the Club Field for a feast. A hot dinner of roast beef and plum pudding for the men and duck and green peas for the top table (the Vicar and the nobility). There was plenty of beer, dancing and a Fun Fair carried on till midnight. The Club was disbanded in 1907 when it was taken over by the Oddfellows Friendly Society who dropped the feast days.
 The Bonfire Boys
The Bonfire Boys used to celebrate the 5th. of November as the Nutley Bonfire Society does now. In 1885 the local newspaper gives this account:- “ The Bonfire Boys held their usual demonstration on the Fifth. It was at one time thought there would be no commemoration this year but owing to the energetic action of the Secretaries, Mr. Cox and Mr. Sayers, a committee was formed and a captain and officers chosen. The procession headed by the Fletching Brass Band, under the leadership of Capt. H. Feldwick left their headquarters, the Nutley Inn, about 7.00pm. proceeding to the residence of Mr. Gray Esq, Pippingford Park, ( a distance of two miles ) where refreshments were given. They next visited the Vicarage, the Court House, returning to Headquarters, they visited the residences of other subscribers, viz. Mrs. Cook, The Hall, A. Turner Esq. and E. Menzendorff, after which they returned to the Inn where they made ready for the last procession.